01 December 2012

A Peek at MyPaint on Windows...

Not exactly what I want to write, but I have skipped the whole month now. Last weekend I tried latest mypaint and things are out of my reach. I couldn't build it normally at all and quite lost in the scons scripts but nonetheless I managed to made it. Still http://gna.org/bugs/?19948 (I'd personally call this release blocker for Windows) is here to stay. I try read the commits which trigger this windows specific bug but it seems to be a part of larger internal changes in mypaint.

So guys it would be nice if someone step up and fix this annoying bug, your help is greatly appreciated!

mypaint
Sorry about the lame void in the shot (gosh that's XP still living?), I have made some nice technical sketches but when I hit F10 (resize to fir) all my drawing has lost in space. Current MyPaint get basic pseudo-vector ability which great for prototyping, symmetry mode and more supported colorspace. Actually there is several performance-related experimental features that can be enabled but I'm not getting there at the moment.

About the future of MyPaint well this is just an opinion, a speculation from experience. With MyPaint migrate to gtk-3 thus using pygi (and possibly python-3), It would be most tedious migration I've ever seen before for Windows platform, I meant where is PyGI now? Not even a release yet... and GTK-3? usable but not ready. Lets just hope Windows get some priority in the upstream sooner.

The dreaded question is how gtk-3 handle tablet this time? with gtk-2 there are many users complaining about their tablet which likely gdk<->wintab issue and since gtk is a gnome project (a dominant linux GUI), priority for other platform is somewhat lower than other cross-platform GUI. In the past decent releases has been fewer too. From interface point of view, last time I checked (gtk 3.4.4), it's already native themed but I can't made it work with mypaint since my experimental pygi build can't deal with gtkbuilder (maybe because I use 64bit off_t and time_t which is ABI breaking?). Anyway it still a bit early for pygi in windows...

This build here is a manual build and unlikely I will maintain that build environment anymore.

MyPaint_011212git.7z

Test and report bugs! your reports are very valuable in the release process, I believe the lag bug is workaround-able.

7 comments:

  1. Just tried that build, thank you for making it for us, after not following development for months and i was pleasantly surprised to see those new tools, they seem to be very usefull.

    But i was really sad to read about the status of MyPaint for windows, and in your build it seems really broken, just zooming the canvas and trying to paint after and it does not even paint anymore at the cursor location.
    And after a few time, it simply crash.

    I hope the devs will give some love to the window version, MyPaint is such a great tool, it's very sad to see the window version getting so much broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's truly sad man, i think zoom and lag issue rooting on the same culprit (just my guess) since linux don't have these. I used to know a bit about mypaint code (though not a dev), enough to pinpoint windows' issue but time no longer on my side. Whats worrying is no one seems to step up as maintainer since i propose handover at the forum long time a go.

      Providing development builds is crucial for mypaint because AFAIK the devs are linux users and that mypaint using libraries that is IMO fragile/officially unsupported for Windows platform.

      I wish the best for 1.1 release for Windows!
      Mypaint is uniquely designed (unlike gimp). A novel brush engine from start.

      Delete
    2. I agree, it is really sad know one wants to (on the windows side of things) step up and make a better windows build for this awesome program. It has been a mainstay in my painting environment for some time now. It has a great potential that is being overlooked imo by those that strictly see this as a linux program. Thank you for your participation in helping windows users. You have been a miracle worker.

      Delete
  2. in case mypaint 1.1 is nowhere stable for windows keep in mind that Linux is your friend, cross-platform software exist to give us freedom of OS choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any links to bugreports for the PyGI issues you have experienced on Windows?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I used this version of MyPaint from windows and it seems very good. I hope all the bugs are resolved as soon as possible!
    Sorry for the question ... but who do I send the bugreport??

    Thanks and sorry for my bad English ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://opensourcepack.blogspot.com/2013/01/mypaint-and-pygi.html

    ReplyDelete